WILSON, N.C. – The Wilson Tobs defeated the Holly Springs Salamanders, 5-3, on Thursday at Historic Fleming Stadium.
After the game, the Tobs improve to 2-2 and the Salamanders move to 2-2 on the second half of the season. Overall the Tobs are now 14-21 while the Salamanders are 13-19.
– The Salamanders scored the first run of the game off a solo home run in the second
– Jake Holtzapple evened the score off a sacrifice fly to left field that scored Josh Ladowkski
– CJ Ballard dropped a bunt that forced an error from the pitcher which allowed Austin Fisher to score and the second baseman threw the ball in the dugout which allowed Ballard to score as well, which gave the Tobs a 3-1 lead after three
– Andre Nnebe and Hunter Gore hit RBI doubles in the fourth inning that scored Ladowski and Nnebe respectively which gave the Tobs a 5-1 lead
– Holly Springs plated their second run in the sixth off a bloop single to right field to decrease the Tobs lead to 5-2
– The Salamanders hit another solo home run in the seventh which lead to the final score, 5-3
– Ladowski tallied three hits in four at-bats with a double and two runs scored
– Nnebe went 2-for-4 with
– Sam Luchansky started on the mound and delivered 6.1 innings, one strikeout giving up six hits and three runs. Luchansky received the win which gives him a 3-3 record on the season
– Jeff Thompson threw 2.2 innings and received his first save of season
The Tobs will head to Hampton, Va on Saturday after an off day on Friday to take on the Peninsula Pilots. After the game against the Pilots it will be the All-Star break. The Tobs will host the Salamanders on July 12th at Historic Fleming Stadium at 7 p.m.
The Wilson Tobs enter their 21st season as an original member within the Coastal Plain League for the 2017 Summer. The upcoming season for the Tobs will see an expanded community outreach effort, increased participation in helping the less fortunate and more exciting entertainment for the Wilson Community. We would like to dedicate each successful season to the Wilson Community, Coastal Plain League Organization, Host Families, Sponsors Partners and the Dedicated Fans throughout the city of Wilson. The Wilson Tobs have played host to over 100 alumni taken in the draft and have produced a dozen players who have gone on to play in the MLB, including Cy Young & MVP winner Justin Verlander. For more information on the Wilson Tobs, visit our website www.wilsontobs.com.